Chocolate tarts can be stored in the fridge for several days, making them the perfect dessert to prepare ahead of time for dinner parties.
- Place flour and icing sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Roughly chop butter and add to the flour, mixing to a breadcrumb consistency. Add 1 egg and pulse until mixture comes together - if needed, add a small amount of chilled water. Wrap pastry in plastic cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Roll pastry out to about 3mm thick and line a 28cm tart pan.
- Bake pastry with baking paper, then place rice or dry beans on top and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove covering and cook for a further 5 minutes until pastry is lightly golden. Reduce heat to 160C.
- Place cream, milk, brown sugar, cocoa and chocolate in a small saucepan. Stir over a gentle heat until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Allow to cool until just warm.
- Whisk 4 eggs and combine with chopped chocolate mixture. Pour filling into tart shell and cook for 30 minutes until tart is just set but still slightly wobbly in the centre.
- Allow to cool and serve at room temperature.