Tasty chicken stew
This stew cooks slowly in a low oven, improves with age and is best with relaxed company and a good bottle of red wine.
- Roughly chop chicken thighs into chunks that are easy to manage with a fork.
- Toss chicken in the flour mixed with the dried Italian or mixed herbs.
- Preheat the oven to 150C regular bake, not fan.
- Heat avocado or olive oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onion, crushed garlic, 2 x 410g seasoned tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and rindless, chopped bacon (middle).
- Place into casserole dish when onion is translucent and mushrooms are lightly cooked. Add a little oil and in batches cook the chicken till just lightly golden and no more. Place in casserole dish with all the other ingredients except the wine.
- Pour the wine into the pan that has been cooking the chicken. With all the “bits” left over in the pan from cooking the chicken, swirl the wine around. Pour that wine mix over the chicken in the casserole. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and any leftover herb flour.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 hours.