|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|½ cup||Dried apricots|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
- Grease or line a 24cm ring tin. Cafe Strada suggests using a 20cm cake tin lined with a double thickness of baking paper to the height of 7.5cm.
- Combine the (peeled, cored and diced) apples, dates, apricots and soda in a pan and cover with boiling water. Bring back to the boil. Turn off the heat and stand until cold.
- Beat the butter, sugar and essence in a large bowl until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and fold alternately with the fruit mixture into the creamed butter.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin. Bake in the oven at 180 deg C for 40 minutes.
- While the cake is cooking, combine the butter, sugar, milk and coconut in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the cake from the oven and spread with topping. Bake for a further 30 mins or until topping is golden brown.
- Cool cake, in the tin, on a cooling rack before serving.