Lemon curd pavlova
Pavlova is a Kiwi classic. For best results, make sure the egg whites are at room temperature and your bowl and beaters are completely clean.
- Preheat oven to 100 deg C. Place 6 egg whites, caster sugar, vanilla, malt vinegar and cornflour (combined with 1 tablespoon boiling water) in a cake mixer and whisk on high for 10 minutes, until mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Draw a 24-cm circle in pencil on a sheet of baking paper. Turn the paper over and place it on a baking tray. Pile egg mixture onto the circle.
- Cook for 1 1/4 hours (don't open the oven door during this time), then turn the heat off and leave pavlova inside the cooling oven for a further 1 hour.
- While pavlova is cooking, whisk 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks and second measure of caster sugar in a saucepan until smooth. Place pan over a low heat, add butter, juice and lemon rind of 3 lemons and whisk continuously until thick.
- Beat cream and icing sugar until thick. Transfer the cooled pavlova to a serving plate and spread with cream.
- Using a jug, drizzle lines of curd on the cream, then change direction and make more lines the opposite way. Run a skewer through curd to make a pattern.