( SERVES 8 )
This peasant-style soup originated at a time when food was scarce and it was literally made with leftover peelings...
|1 clove||Garlic, crushed|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|2 cups||Carrots, diced and other root vegetables you might have eg, potato, swede, kumara, turnip, parsnip|
|2 cups||Onions, and/or leeks|
|2 cups||Salad greens, (peas, chopped spinach, chard, cabbage, kale)|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- In a large saucepan, cover with a lid and sweat gently (without colour) the first 5 ingredients for 15 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients, except any greens.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook slowly for 25-30 minutes or until everything you have added is almost tender.
- Add the greens and continue cooking until everything is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- A ham bone or piece of bacon
- Parmesan rind or tin of chickpeas, drained
- The remnants of a tin of sweetcorn or bits of broken pasta
- Fresh herbs of your choice
Cook's tip: If you have any parsley growing in the garden, add a chopped tbsp just before serving for a little extra zing.