Butternut Soup with Red Onion and Goat's Cheese
A sweeter form of pumpkin, butternut soup is a hearty winter warmer. Serve with crusty bread for a well rounded meal.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 8 minutes, until soft. Stir in the sage and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove half of the mixture from the pan and reserve.
- Add butternut squash(peeled, deseeded and cubed) and garlic to the pan. Cover and cook for 20 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Pour in the stock(vegetable or chicken) and turn up the heat. When soup boils, turn off the heat. Transfer to a blender and whiz until smooth.
- Reheat the soup, adding a little water if you wish.
- Serve with the reserved onion mixture and a little goats' cheese. Serve with garlic bread.