Fish fingers and chips
Homemade fish fingers are much more satisfying than the frozen kind. Follow this recipe for a satisfying version of a popular dinner dish.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Spread out breadcrumbs on a small baking tray lined with foil.
- Brown lightly in oven for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on tray.
- To make chips, raise oven temperature to 230 degC. Pour oil into a large baking tray and place in oven to heat up.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into chips and dry them with a tea towel. Toss chips in the hot oil and spread out in one layer.
- Cook for 35 minutes, turning them after 20 to 25 minutes.
- Mix the parmesan, if using, into the cooled breadcrumbs. Strain beaten egg into a shallow bowl. Put flour on a plate and season.
- Dip all the pieces of fish first in the flour, then in the egg, then put them all in the tray of breadcrumbs and coat well.
- Arrange the fish fingers in a single layer on a large, well-buttered baking sheet. Bake above the chips for 8 minutes.