Goulash is primarily a soup but it is also a stew and is traditionally made of beef onions, paprika, vegetables and spices. A great winter warmer.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Season flour with salt and paper, then toss steak pieces in flour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and brown the steak in batches. Place in an ovenproof dish.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if needed, then gently cook paprika, onion(roughly chopped) and garlic until onion has softened.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar and 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring to the boil, then pour ingredients over steak.
- Cover dish and bake 1 1/2 hours or until steak is tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, serving with a dollop of sour cream and a scattering of parsley.
- Alternatively cook in a slow cooker on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.