Lamb and lentil hotpot
This hotpot can be cooked in a slow cooker or traditional oven. The lentils add an extra burst of protein.
- Preheat oven to 150C. Heat oil in a large saucepan or heavy bottomed casserole dish. Brown lamb in batches and set aside.
- In the same dish, gently cook finely chopped onions, carrots, sliced leek, celery and finely chopped garlic until tender.
- Stir in tomato paste. Increase heat, add wine and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaves, olives and brown lentils. Bring to the boil and transfer to an ovenproof dish - if not using one already.
- Cover and cook in oven for 1½-2 hours until lamb is tender. Alternatively, you could cook this in a slow cooker on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.