This delicious seafood dish can be made in under thirty minutes, making it perfect Friday fare for the whole family.
- Pour enough oil into a large deep-sided saucepan to fill the pan to a depth of 10cm, then heat oil until a small piece of bread sizzles within seconds of being dropped into the oil
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then make a well in the centre.
- Pour in the beer and water and quickly mix into a batter. There will be some lumps.
- Dip mussels in batter, then into the hot oil. Cook in batches until batter is puffed and golden. Drain mussels on paper towels.
- Serve mussels with a bowl of vinegar for dipping and wedges of lemon.