'Clean out the fridge' pasta
This dish is designed to feed four hungry people and use up any leftovers from the fridge. This is a guideline recipe – include whatever you have on hand at the time.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet and drain, keeping a little starchy water for later use.
- In a large frying pan, add the oil and gently cook the onion until translucent but not browned.
- After a few minutes, add the garlic, bacon, thyme and chicken breast. Follow this with the mushrooms, courgette and whatever cooked vegetables you can find in fridge. Add the crème fraîche and finally the spinach. Heat well.
- Add a spoonful of pesto, leftover olives or sun-dried tomatoes if desired.
- Season and add a little of the reserved pasta water if the sauce is too thick.
- Place the warm fettuccine on the plate and top with sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and chilli.
You can make the pasta ahead of time – just drain (remember to reserve some of the starchy pasta water), place in a bowl with a drizzle of oil and toss through some fi nely chopped parsley. A squeeze of lemon can also be added to the mix without fear of separation. Crème fraîche is good in this dish, as even boiling the creamy sauce will not cause separation.