Steak, kidney and caramelised onion pie
Everyone, especially Dad, will love this classic pie. The addition of caramelised onion makes this even tastier!
- In a small saucepan, melt butter with the first measure of oil. Add peeled and quartered onions. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and starting to colour. Add sugar and vinegar and cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring often, until onions are dark
- Trim kidneys of any membrane, wipe off blood spots, rinse and pat dry. Slice, then dust with flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Toss beef, chopped into 4cm pieces in seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and brown kidneys quickly. Set aside. Brown beef in batches and set aside with kidneys.
- Add chopped carrots and mushrooms to the pan and cook for a few minutes, adding oil if necessary.
- Pour over wine and stock, and return beef and kidneys to pan. Add onions, cover and cook for 2 hours until meat is tender. Cool, then refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Line a 30cm round pie-dish with pastry. Fill with meat mixture, then cover with pastry lid, ensuring edges are sealed. Brush with egg yolk. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden.