Rice plays a minor rather than dominant part in this tasty and nutritious dish. It's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser any time of year.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 cup||Basmati rice|
|1||Baby onion, finely chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|3 cups||Chicken stock|
|½ cup||Plain unsweetened yoghurt|
|1 tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|½ tsp||Chilli flakes, dried red|
|500 g||Spinach, stems discarded|
|1 cup||Frozen peas, cooked and drained|
|8 sprigs||Mint, finely sliced|
|1 bunch||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, leaves finely chopped|
- Wash the rice well. Leave to soak in cold water for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and cook onion and garlic over a very gentle heat until softened and golden.
- Add rice, toss for a minute or two, turn up heat and add stock. Simmer, cover and lower heat.
- Cook until rice is soft and liquid is absorbed - 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir with a fork and cool a little.
- Meanwhile, place peppers in an oven dish and roast until the skins are turning black.
- Remove to a closed plastic bag so the skins loosen. Remove and discard skins, stems and seeds. Cut flesh into thin strips.
- Make a dressing by mixing the yoghurt, lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon and preserve 2 quarters lemon (zest only), finely diced , salt and pepper and chilli flakes.
- Toss the still-warm rice through.
- Shred the spinach. Place rice in a serving bowl with peppers, peas, spinach, preserved lemon and herbs. Toss well.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve at room temperature.