Apricot and marmalade steamed pudding
This delicious pudding can be prepared ahead of time. Simply leave it in the basin and warm it prior to serving.
- Grease and line a 1.25 litre capacity pudding basin, and cut a circle of baking paper to fit the top of the basin.
- Place apricots in a bowl and cover with boiling water, leave to sit for 10 minutes. Drain the water off and roughly chop. Then place apricots, marmalade and golden syrup in the base of the pudding basin.
- Beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy and then beat in egg. Stir in lemon rind, sift in flour and mix in baking soda dissolved in milk. Pour batter into pudding basin, cover with paper circle, then seal tightly with foil and string or a fitted lid.
- Place pudding in a large saucepan and add enough boiling water to come 3/4 of the way up the sides of the basin. Cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 hours. Top up water level when cooking if needed.
- Turn out onto a serving dish and serve warm with custard or cream.