Warm toffee macadamia nut cake
Kylie Adams, our master baker in the test kitchen, has been making this cake for years. In her cafés, it was a favourite.
|2 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|2½ cups||Self raising flour|
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC fan bake.
- Toast the nuts on a tray in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Don’t leave unattended as they burn easily.
- Toast the coconut for a few minutes in the oven and place on top of the reserved nuts.
- Place the nuts and coconut in a greased and paper lined 25cm tin.
- Put the toffee ingredients into a saucepan and heat the mixture over a low heat, until smooth and slightly thickened, for 5 minutes.
- Pour over nut mixture. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and mix well. Fold in milk with flour and cinnamon. Spoon over nut mixture.
- Cook at 160 degC fan bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Serve warm with thick cream or vanilla custard.