These little rhubarb cakes freeze well. Use muffin paper cases for a quick and easy clean-up.
- Place the oven rack in the middle. Preheat to 160 degC fan bake. Line two standard muffin pans with paper baking cups.
- Combine flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cream unsalted butter and sugar for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add large eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract, sour cream, milk and 1 tbsp freshly grated orange zest. Beat for 5 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture, beating until well combined. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, filling them two-thirds full. Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, the tops spring back when lightly pressed and they are a light golden colour.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then put onto wire racks to cool for a further 15 minutes.