Alice (12) has already perfected the art of baking sponges and whips them up regularly when friends come over for afternoon tea. The recipe comes from an elderly family friend, who is more than happy for Alice to share it with us.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Line 2 x 20cm cake tins with baking paper.
- Using an electric beater, beat eggs, sugar and golden syrup together for 10 minutes.
- Sift over combined cornflour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and cocoa.
- Gently fold these into the egg mixture. Pour mixture into prepared tins and bake for 16 minutes.
- Allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes before turning them out to cool on a wire rack.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form. Spread cream over one sponge, then top with sliced strawberries or whole raspberries.
- Top with the remaining sponge half. Sift over icing sugar and serve with any cream left over.