Crisp risotto balls
Your guests will love these bite sized treats - make the risotto balls the day before and cook them just prior to serving.
- Melt butter in a medium-size saucepan and gently cook red onion until tender. Add rice and stir to coat with the butter for a minute or so.
- Gradually add the hot stock, stirring after each addition and waiting until liquid has been absorbed before adding more. It should take approximately 20 minutes for all of the liquid to be added and the rice to be cooked.
- Towards the end of cooking, add the chopped prawns to the rice and mix through.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir through lemon rind and parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool risotto completely and refrigerate until required.
- Form walnut-size flattened balls from the risotto mixture.
- Place the eggs in a shallow dish and the crumbs in another.
- Dip each ball in egg and then in crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan to a 1cm depth. once it's hot, quickly cook balls in batches until golden and crisp on each side. Drain on paper towels.