Apple streusel coffee cake
( SERVES 12 )
Try serving this cake as a warm dessert, accompanied by softly whipped cream. Remember to store your nuts in the fridge or freezer as they will last longer.
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|200 g||Unsalted butter|
|1 cup||Sour cream|
|1 Tbsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC fan bake. Lightly butter a 23 x 33cm baking pan and line with baking paper. Butter the baking paper.
- Make the topping: stir together walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in medium mixing bowl. Work in the butter with your fingertips until crumbly. Set aside.
- Make the cake: combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the butter in a large bowl for 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until a knife inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Cook's tip: Try serving this cake as a warm dessert, accompanied by softly whipped cream. Remember to store your nuts in the fridge or freezer as they will last longer.