Delicious with coffee, Florentines also make an excellent gift. They need to be stored in an airtight container.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper or bake in batches.
- Mix the flaked almonds, sultanas, chopped mixed peel, chopped glace cherries and flour together in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter over a moderate heat, then stir in the sugar and golden syrup, mixing until sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to the boil and allow to boil for 1 minute before removing from the heat. Pour the sugar mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture onto the baking tray, allowing space to spread. Bake for 5-7 minutes until biscuits are golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and shape each biscuit into a tidy round using a small knife or a cookie cutter. Cool biscuits on a wire rack.
- Melt chocolate over a gentle heat and spread the base of each biscuit with chocolate. Allow to set completely before storing in an airtight container.