Chorizo, tomato & basil tarts
( SERVES 4 )
These tarts have a lovely zing to them - the chorizo and tomato are a great combination.
- Preheat oven to 200deg C. Cut 9cm circles of pastry - to get a fluted edge, invert a metal tart pan and press onto the pastry as you would a cookie cutter.
- Place pastry discs on a cold baking tray.
- Slice tomatoes into thick slices. Push out seeds and excess liquid.
- Spread each pastry disc with pesto leaving a 1.5cm edge around the rim. Cover the pesto with chorizo and lastly with tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush pastry edges with egg yolk and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until pastry edges are puffed and golden.