Make this picnic loaf the day before you plan to eat it for a delicious snack.
|¼ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2||Tomatoes, sliced and seeds removed|
|1||Red onion, thinly sliced|
|150 g||Salami, or chorizo, sliced|
|¼ cup||Olives, pitted and roughly chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Capers, rinsed|
|75 g||Cheddar cheese, tasty, cut into thin slices|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Start preparing this loaf the day before serving. Top and tail courgettes, then slice lengthways. Brush with oil and cook on a griddle till just tender.
- Grill capsicum until skin blackens, and once it cools rub off skin, remove seeds and cut flesh into wide strips.
- Slice baguette in half horizontally (if it's very long you may like to cut it in half vertically as well and make 2 loaves). Using your fingers pull out the soft bread in the centre of the loaf and discard, leaving 1 to 2cm of bread around the crust.
- Arrange courgette and capsicum over one half of the bread. Cover with tomato, onion, salami, olives, capers, basil and cheese. Season and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Put the remaining baguette half on top, then wrap tightly in plastic cling film. Refrigerate overnight. once ready to serve, remove plastic wrap and slice loaf into chunks.