Chilled tomato soup
( SERVES 8 )
You can make this soup with canned tomatoes but late-season sun-ripened tomatoes will give the best flavour. Preparation: 30min. Cooking: NIL.
- Cut tomatoes in half and remove seeds. Cut cucumber in half and discard seeds. Roughly chop capsicums, onion and garlic.
- Brush bread with oil and grill until toasted on both sides. Place bread in the bowl of a food processor and process to rough crumbs. Set crumbs aside.
- Whiz tomatoes, cucumber, capsicums, onion and garlic in a food processor until almost smooth but still containing very small pieces.
- Add vinegar and tomato juice and season. Lastly add bread crumbs and mix well.
- Cover soup and chill for 1 hour. Garnish with basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil to serve.