Date and orange flan
( SERVES 8 )
Serve this flan with a dollop of whipped cream for a fancy dessert.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a 26cm flan pan with pastry and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove weights and bake a further 5 minutes.
- Remove pastry from oven and reduce temperature to 150C.
- Meanwhile, heat cream, milk, vanilla and honey in a small saucepan. Bring just to the boil, then remove from heat and cool until warm.
- Beat 4 egg yolks, sugar and 2 eggs together until creamy. Slowly pour in cream mixture and mix well.
- Halve dates and remove stones. Arrange dates in a single layer over the base of the pastry.
- Sprinkle with the 1 tbsp of finely grated orange rind. Pour over the custard filling, then bake for 30 minutes or until just set. Allow to cool before serving.