Perfect for the weekend, serve this up with hot chocolate. Makes: 1 loaf
- Stir dried yeast and caster sugar into the 1 1/2 cups warm milk and leave for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Combine flour, spice, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in the milk mixture, melted butter, egg and currants. Mix well until the dough comes together.
- Tip dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Alternatively, you can mix in a cake mixer with a dough hook.
- Place dough in a large, lightly greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Place in a warm spot and leave to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Separate dough into 3 equal balls and then roll out into lengths approximately 45cm long. Plait the strands together into a loaf and gently press the ends together. Place on a cold tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes until loaf feels crusty and cooked through.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack and then ice with combined icing sugar and milk and dust with cinnamon.