Fancy chocolate sponge
( SERVES 8 )
When making sponge cakes make sure that you have all the ingredients ready and tins lined before you start mixing.
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line two 20cm cake tins.
- Sift flour, cornflour, baking soda, cream of tarter and cocoa twice.
- Whisk eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in dry ingredients using a metal spoon, then fold in butter and water.
- Divide mixture between the two tins and cook for 20 minutes.
- Allow sponge to cool in cake tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Sandwich sponge together with whipped cream and fruit of choice.