Beef and Oyster Pie
A twist on the traditional beef pie - serve with a cool drink,
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and brown beef(chopped into 2.5cm chunks) in batches until well coloured. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan and gently cook onions (roughly chopped) and garlic (finely chopped) until tender. Increase heat and add the mushrooms, thyme and then the ale, and bring to the boil.
- Add beef to the pan, cover and simmer for 2 hours until beef is tender. If extra liquid is needed, add a little water or beef stock.
- Rub butter into flour until well mixed. Roll into small balls and drop into simmering stew. Allow to cook for 5 minutes and then gently stir to ensure balls have dissolved. Remove stew from heat and set aside to cool and then refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Line a 25cm pie plate with pastry and spoon over meat filling.
- Dot with oysters and then cover with pastry, pressing edges to seal.
- Brush pastry with egg (lightly whisked) and then bake in the lower part of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until pastry is puffed and golden.