Indian spiced lamb roast served with lemon pilaf rice
Give new life to the traditional lamb roast with Indian spices and rice.
Spiced Lamb Roast
|2 tsp||Ground cumin|
|2 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|2 tsp||Ground coriander|
|2 tsp||Mustard powder|
|1 Tbsp||Garam masala|
|1½ kgs||Boned lamb shoulder|
- Place the spices in a shallow dish and mix well. Roll the lamb in the spices and salt and rub them into the meat. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Place the lamb in a roasting dish with 1/4 cup water. Cook for 2 hours. Allow the meat to rest, covered, for 15 minutes prior to serving.
- Half an hour before serving, rinse rice under cold water until the water comes clean.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in 1 teaspoon turmeric and the sunflower seeds and cook, stirring until seeds are lightly coloured.
- Add rice and finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, stir to coat with butter for a minute, then pour in hot chicken stock and bring to the boil. Immediately reduce heat to the lowest possible simmer.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and allow to cook, undisturbed, for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to sit a further few minutes before removing the lid and mixing in the coriander leaves with a fork.
- Serve lamb with pilaf and steamed vegetables or salad.