( SERVES 4 )
While risotto is typically made with short grain rice - usually arborio - it can also be made with other grains such as barley which adds a nutty flavour and an interesting texture.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and gently cook onion, garlic(crushed) and celery for 4 to 5 minutes until onion is tender. Add barley, stir to coat the grains with butter and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add wine (optional) and cook until liquid has been absorbed by the grains. Add a ladle of hot stock and stir until liquid
- Add pumpkin (peeled and chopped in cubes) and continue to gradually add stock, stirring until each ladle is absorbed before adding another.
- Once barley is tender and stock has been absorbed, remove from heat, stir through parmesan cheese and season to taste.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with sage leaves.