Pear and nut filo
To get a really crisp pastry base always cook pies in the bottom third of the oven on a high heat.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Brush a 20cm square cake tin with butter. Lay a pastry sheet in the tin and brush with butter, add another sheet crossways over the first sheet.
- Repeat until you have used 6 sheets of pastry.
- Mix ground almonds with the egg and 2 tablespoons of honey and spread over the pastry base.
- Spread the pears over the almond filling.
- Cover pears with a filo sheet and then brush with butter, sprinkle with flaked almonds, ginger and dots of honey.
- Continue this way with remaining pastry sheets. Trim excess pastry off and fold in edges to seal.
- Brush well with butter and cook for 30 minutes. Ten minutes before the end of cooking, drizzle over any remaining honey.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes before serving with yoghurt or cream.