My Kitchen Rules - Episode 20 - Porcini Fettuccine with Roasted Hazelnuts
|6||Black peppercorns, whole|
|1 clove||Garlic, chopped finely|
|80 ml||Olive oil|
|50 g||Parmesan cheese, finely grated|
|50 g||Goat's cheese|
|2 slices||Prosciutto, torn (optional)|
|1 to garnish||Chives|
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- To make fettuccine, grind porcini in a pestle and mortar (or small food processor) to a fine dust.
- Sift combined flour, salt and porcini dust onto a clean work bench. Make a well in the centre. Add eggs and whisk lightly. Gradually incorporate flour into centre to form a soft pliable dough. Dough is correct consistency if your thumb comes back clean when pushed into it.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured bench for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic (it will lose its rough, floury texture). Stand, covered, for 20 minutes to rest.
- Divide into quarters. Pass each quarter through a pasta machine on the widest setting, repeating on all of the settings until 2mm thick.
- Cut with a knife or fettuccine attachment.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Place hazelnuts on an oven tray. Cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Rub in a clean tea towel to remove skins.
- Grind hazelnuts, peppercorns and garlic in a pestle and mortar (or small food processor) to a coarse paste. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil to loosen the mixture. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Stir in parmesan and remaining oil.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until just tender. Drain. Return to saucepan. Toss through hazelnut mixture.
- Serve fettuccine topped with goat's cheese and prosciutto. Garnish with chives.
- When cooking pasta, fresh or dried, always use a large saucepan of boiling water. If the pan is too small, the pasta will stick together
- If you do not have a pasta machine, you can use fresh or dried pasta in this recipe, adding the porcini to the sauce instead. To include the porcini, soak 15g dried porcini in 60ml of boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and reserve liquid. Chop porcini finely. Simmer reserved liquid and chopped porcini gently until liquid has been absorbed. Stir into hazelnut mixture at the end of step 8.
- If dried porcini are unavailable, omit from fresh pasta recipe and add a handful of finely chopped cooked mushrooms with hazelnut mixture.