Blackberry Roly Poly Pud
This is a cosy pud for winter. With frozen berries in the freezer, the rest is made with pantry staples. It is economical and delicious.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place water, golden syrup and sugar in small saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, spice and salt into a bowl. Mix in brown sugar. Rub in butter until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in milk, mix with a knife until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out and roll into a rectangle 2.5cm thick. Spread the dough with jam and then make a line of blackberries 2cm in from a long side.
- Roll the dough with the blackberries in the middle. Slice into 6 pinwheels. Sit pinwheels in a single layer cut side-up in a greased baking dish.
- Pour over syrup and scatter with almonds. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until pudding is golden and firm.