This chocolate caramel reminds me of several commercially made toffee bars such as Toffee oilks. It gives a good crunch and chew and keeps you wanting more. The recipe is quick, easy to make and perfect for school fairs and parties. Makes 20, ready in 20 mins.
- Place sugar and butter in a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to the boil, add the salt and cook over a moderate heat until the ingredients reach 140 degC. At this stage it will go a deep caramel colour, and a little tested in a saucer of water will form a firm ball quite quickly.
- Pour the caramel into a lined slice pan and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Carefully arrange the melts evenly over the caramel and leave for a few more minutes.
- Using a knife, gently spread the melted chocolate to form an even layer, then leave to set completely. Cut into shards once set.