Emily Taylor's Chocolate & Coffee Cake
( SERVES 16 )
Emily Taylor from New Zealand's Hottest Home Baker shares her Chocolate and Coffee Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt into a large bowl. In another bowl whisk together the sugar, eggs, milk, sour cream, oil, vanilla essence and melted cooled chocolate. Pour this mixture along with the coffee into the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes (mixture will be runny).
- Pour mixture into a 22cm round cake pan lined with baking paper and sides sprayed with oil. Bake for 55-60 minutes until cake cooked. Leave cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning out on rack. Ice when cool with a chocolate ganache.
- For the chocolate ganache, bring cream up to the boil then pour it over cooking chocolate and stir until smooth. Cool and ice cake when ganache has set to room temperature.
- Optional: Cover the ganache icing with rolled fondant and decorate.
- To make Emily’s three-tier cake you need three times the recipe above, divided between three different-sized tins. Emily recommends 23cm, 20cm and 12cm cake tins, fmaking each no more than 3/4 full