Avocado pikelets, grilled corn, basil and bacon
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat the barbecue. Lie the corn on the grill and let cook while turning occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Make the pikelet batter by sifting the flour with the salt into a bowl. Stir in pepper to taste.
- Make a well, then add the melted butter, mashed avocado and egg. Pour in the milk and mix until smooth. Add more milk if necessary.
- Brush the hotplate with olive oil. Cook the bacon on the hot plate until crispy while cooking the pikelets.
- Make the vinaigrette by finely chopping the basil leaves, then mix with enough olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning to make a thick sauce.
- Remove the husks from the corn and slice the kernels off the cobs. Serve the pikelets with the bacon, corn and creme fraiche. Spoon over the vinaigrette.