Black rice pudding
( SERVES 6 )
Coconut cream topping
- Wash and rinse black rice in a sieve. Place in a saucepan with 1 litre of water. Leave to soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place in a saucepan with drained rice and water over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and turn heat to low. Simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost all water is absorbed, the rice should now have a creamy texture - like a pudding.
- Add sweetener and sea salt to hot rice. Stir well until sugar has dissolved. Spoon rice into small bowls.
- To make topping, put coconut cream, salt, lemon juice and arrowroot in a small saucepan over low heat and stir to combine. Slowly bring to a boil.
- The mixture should thicken slightly.
- To serve, pour topping over black rice. Garnish with diced fruit.
* Black rice has a delicious creamy texture and an exotic, earthy flavour. The rich, white coconut cream topping is a perfect complement to the sweetened rice. This may be eaten warm or cooled, and leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for several days.