Coffee and bay leaf creme caramels
( SERVES 6 )
- For the caramel, place sugar in a saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of water, heat to a light golden caramel.
- Stir in the whisky and bay leaf and heat to a deep golden colour, remove the bay leaf and pour the caramel into metal dariole moulds, tipping around to coat the sides.
- Boil your kettle. For the custard, scald the soy milk and cream in a saucepan, add the coffee and remove from the heat. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together lightly, then whisk in the milk mixture and pour into the moulds.
- Place into a deep tray and pour boiling water halfway up the sides of the moulds.
- Bake in a preheated 160C oven for 40 minutes.
- Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with grilled peaches or pears and cream.