Free range pork with roasted shallots and thyme
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat oven to 200C. Slice the skin off the pork and rub thoroughly with salt and oil, getting right in between the score marks. Place on an oven tray.
- Peel the shallots, core and slice the pears. Put into an oven dish with some sprigs of fresh thyme, a generous drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and sear the seasoned pork well on all sides until a deep golden colour. Place a lid on the pan, turn the heat to medium and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove to let rest for 10 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the cider and let reduce for a few minutes. Do this while grilling the crackling.
- Preheat the grill and cook the crackling until crispy. Pour the cider over the pork before serving with crackling, pears and shallots.