Five-spice duck breasts
( SERVES 4 )
I used Quack a Duck duck breasts available from New World Supermarkets. If preferred, prepare the sauce a day ahead and reheat.
|1||Shallot, finely diced|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|4 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|4 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|2 cups||Blackberries, fresh or frozen|
|1 cup||Chicken stock|
- To make the sauce, sauté the shallot in the oil in a small saucepan, until softened. Add the brown sugar and vinegar and half the blackberries and simmer for 4-5 minutes until the berries are soft. Mash and add the chicken stock. Simmer until reduced by half. Sieve to remove the seeds.
- To cook the duck, first preheat the oven to 220C.
- Divide the breasts into two. Score the skin in a diamond pattern as you would for a ham. Sprinkle evenly all over with salt and the five-spice powder. Make a paste with the ginger and garlic and rub into the skin.
- Heat a heavy, non-stick frying pan on medium. Place the duck breasts skin-side down and cook until the fat has rendered and the skin is golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Cook the duck in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Add the remaining blackberries to the sauce and heat through. Serve with the duck.
More of Jan's Christmas recipes