Black pepper steak with horseradish cream, baked potatoes and asparagus
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Tam West
- Heat the oven to 200C. Line a shallow ovenproof tray with baking paper.
- Put the steak on a plate and pat the crushed garlic and pepper all over it.
- Put the sliced potatoes in a large bowl and add 3 tablespoons of the oil and a sprinkling of salt. Mix the potatoes gently but thoroughly with your hands so the slices are covered with oil. Place on the baking paperlined tray in an even layer about 2cm thick.
- Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until well browned and tender.
- Heat the remaining oil over high heat in an ovenproof frying pan and brown the steak on each side. Place in the oven for 20 minutes for medium, less if you like it rarer.
- Remove from the oven, place on a warm plate, loosely cover with foil and rest in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the sour cream, horseradish, capers, chives and parsley into a small bowl and mix well. Taste and season.
- Drop the asparagus into a saucepan of boiling salted water and boil gently for 3-4 minutes or until just cooked. Drain well.
- Slice the steak on the diagonal across the grain of the meat and place on a warm serving platter. Serve the steak with the asparagus and potatoes with the horseradish cream on the side.
More of Ray's dinners for two