Cheesy olive, rosemary and balsamic focaccia
( MAKES 1 loaf )
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
Balsamic transforms this super simple bread, as it does my ginger, almond, mozzarella and balsamic salad
|2 sprigs||Rosemary, large|
|2 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1||Onion, peeled and finely sliced|
|2||Garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|10||Black olive, pitted and halved lengthways|
|3 Tbsp||Grated parmesan cheese|
For the bread
- Finely chop a third of the rosemary leaves; keep one third whole and the other roughly chop, set aside for the topping.
- Heat the olive oil in a fry pan; add finely chopped rosemary and onion gently cook for 10 minutes then add the garlic and balsamic vinegar. Cook till the mixture caramelises. Pour into a small bowl to cool.
- For the dough, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 225ml of warm water. Let it stand for about 10 minutes so the yeast will start working.
- In a large bowl, add the yeast mixture to the flour, Italian seasoning (if using), salt and olive oil. If you have a standard cake mixer use the dough hook or in a bowl bring together to form a dough. Knead for 10 minutes or till silky.
- Add half of the rosemary and onion mixture into the dough and knead for another 10 minutes.
- Oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, cover with a tea towel then set in a warm place for the dough to prove. The dough should double in size.
- Tip the dough out on to a lightly floured board and knead into a round ball.
- Take a large baking tray and oil well with olive oil, place the dough on the tray, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand into a 20cm round.
- Mix the rosemary leaves with the remaining rosemary and onion mixture, spread this over the dough, season well with pepper, cover and let prove for another 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 200C, stud the olives into the dough, sprinkle over the parmesan and sea salt, bake for 15-18 mins.
- Cool on wire rack and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary sprigs. Serve with extra virgin olive oil.