Fish soup base
( SERVES 4 )
In answer to Stephen's crayfish soup question. Here’s a recipe for the broth for the fish soup I made on Breakfast — just add anything you think will work together — and I’d say smoked fish would be great
- n a medium-sized pot caramelise the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and star anise in the oil.
- Add the turmeric, lemongrass and lime leaf and cook another 30 seconds, stirring well.
- Add the fish sauce and boil to evaporate, then add the fish stock and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and simmer 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Mix in chunky pre-cooked components like diced kumara, potatoes, pumpkin, green-shell mussels, smoked fish, leftover roast chicken, mushrooms.
- Garnish with the herbs.