Spring chicken pie with leeks and fennel
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Annabel Langbein media
Accompany with roasted beetroot and baby carrots, or alternatively mashed potato and lightly cooked broccoli. This pie also works well with rabbit. De-bone and cut into pieces using the same weight as chicken.
|1 kg||Boneless chicken thigh|
|2 large||Leeks, white part only, washed and thinly sliced|
|2 heads||Fennel, thinly sliced|
|½ cup||Vermouth, or white wine|
|2 Tbsp||Thyme leaves|
|2 Tbsp||Wholegrain mustard|
|1||Lemon, use the finely grated zest and juice|
|1 cup||Peas, fresh or frozen|
|4||Spring onions, very finely chopped|
|1 cup||Flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped|
|2 sheets||Flaky pastry|
|1||Egg yolk, beaten with 2 Tbsp water or milk, to glaze|
- Trim visible fat from chicken and cut flesh into 2cm pieces. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot and cook leeks and fennel over a gentle heat until softened but not brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add vermouth or wine and cook until evaporated. Add thyme and mustard and bring to a simmer. Mix cornflour to a smooth paste with the cream. Add to pot and stir over heat until lightly thickened. Mix in lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper. (The sauce can be prepared ahead to this point and chilled.)
- About an hour before serving, mix the chicken, peas, spring onions and parsley through the sauce. Heat oven to 200C fanbake.
- Transfer filling to a 3-litre capacity baking dish, form a ring of pastry around the edge then stack the pastry sheets and roll them out to fit the top of the dish. Brush the pastry edge with a little egg wash then fit the pastry lid on top and press firmly to seal. Decorate with cut-outs of leftover pastry and brush all over with egg wash. Cut a few holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in preheated oven until puffed and lightly golden (about 12 minutes), then reduce heat to 180C fanbake and cook for 30 minutes until golden.
More of Annabel's spring recipes