( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
This tart would be perfect to take to a potluck or shared dinner. Good quality store-bought pastry makes it such an easy dish to prepare. Take along a big green salad to go with the tart. See my prep-ahead tips below the recipe.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until very soft, stirring from time to time to prevent them from sticking to the base of the saucepan. You want to end up with beautifully golden soft onions. This will take around 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 220C.
- Place the pastry on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Leaving a 2cm rim around the pastry, prick the pastry all over with a fork. Arrange the onions over in a thick layer.
- Arrange the anchovy fillets over the onions along with the olives. Drizzle over a little extra olive oil, then place in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is well browned.
- Remove from the oven and using a palette knife smear over the soft buffalo mozzarella and garnish with the thyme.
- The onions can be cooked ahead and kept in the fridge overnight.
- Pick the leaves from the thyme stalks and keep in the fridge.
More of Kathy's potluck recipes