Falafels with feta, baharat and yoghurt
( SERVES 20 )
|400 g||Chickpeas, (soaked overnight or use tinned)|
|3 cloves||Garlic, (finely diced)|
|1||Onion, (finely diced)|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
|½ tsp||Cayenne pepper|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ cup||Parsley, (finely chopped)|
|½ cup||Mint, (finely chopped)|
|½ cup||Fresh coriander, (finely chopped)|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 to serve||Greek yoghurt|
|1 to serve||Baharat seasoning|
|1||Fresh mint, (to garnish)|
- Drain the chickpeas, rinse and drain again. Put into the bowl of a food processor with the onion and garlic and pulse to break up the chickpeas.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the spices, baking powder and herbs. Season generously, then stir in the egg and keep stirring until the mixture begins to hold together.
- Stir through the crumbled feta, then form the mixture into small balls, squeezing the mixture together as you do so.
- Heat a frying pan, add a little olive oil and fry in batches for a couple of minutes on each side until golden.
- Drain on paper towels before serving topped with a little yoghurt, a sprinkle of baharat and a mint leaf.