Gluten-free lemon cake
( MAKES 1 cake )
This is similar to the wedding cake I made for my son and his wife.
|300 g||Potatoes, large, mashing variety|
|200 g||Caster sugar|
|175 g||Almond meal|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|3||Lemons, finely grated rind|
- Peel the potatoes and boil. Drain and mash well to make 250g of mashed potato. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 20-21cm deep round cake pan.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar, until light. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the almond meal, baking powder, mashed potato and lemon rind.
- Pour into the cake pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Stand for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, stir the lemon juice and sugar on low heat until the sugar is dissolved. With a fine skewer make a few holes in the cake. Drizzle about 1/4 of the syrup over the hot cake. Serve the remainder on the side.
- This cake can be frozen in wedges.
More of Jan's lemon recipes