Lemon, gin and ginger marmalade
( MAKES 9 cups )
A great way to use up the fruit of a laden tree.
- Wash the lemons and remove any stalks and blemishes.
- Halve the lemons and remove the pips. Roughly chop. Place the lemons in batches in a food processor adding about 3/4 of a cup of water each time. Process until evenly chopped. Repeat until all the fruit is chopped.
- Pour all the water and fruit into a large saucepan. Bring to boiling point and simmer for 1 hour. Scoop out any elusive pips when they rise to the top.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, until well dissolved. Add the gin and ginger. Boil rapidly for about 10 minutes or until the marmalade reaches setting point of 104°C. Ensure it does not stick on the base by stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Scoop off any foam from the top and place in a bowl to use on your toast the next day.
- Remove the marmalade from the heat and pour into hot sterilised jars then seal.
More of Jan's lemon recipes