Broccoli soup with preserved lemon gremolata
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
Broccoli and lemon are a match made in heaven.
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|750 g||Broccoli, cut into florets, stems lightly peeled and chopped|
|750 ml||Chicken stock, (use up to 900ml)|
|¾ cup||Freshly grated parmesan cheese|
|1||Lemon, cut into wedges for squeezing|
Preserved lemon gremolata
- Place the oil and garlic in a large heavy-based saucepan. Place over low heat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and give it a good stir so it’s coated in the oil and garlic. Cover and reduce the heat to a slow as you can and cook for 35-45minutes, stirring occasionally. If the broccoli does colour a little, that will add to the flavour.
- Add 750ml chicken stock, bring just up to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little. Place soup in a blender and blend until pureed.
- Return soup to the saucepan with extra stock as needed and heat. Remove from the heat and add the parmesan and taste for seasoning. Divide soup between warmed soup bowls. Give each person a wedge of lemon so they can squeeze the juice into their soup.
- Mix the preserved lemon gremolata ingredients together and place in a small bowl to pass around to sprinkle over your soup for an extra lemon flavour which goes so well with broccoli.