Baked salmon on warm green vegetable salad with rice
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
Salmon fillet is baked in the oven, served on a salad of steamed green beans, sweet stem broccoli, peas and kale, with a salty sour dressing and served with steamed rice. Leftover salmon and rice are re-flavoured with curry spices and fried onions, a quick white sauce made, boiled eggs are added and it is baked in to a kedgeree (see below recipe). Use the remaining green vegetable salad from the baked salmon as a side for the kedgeree. The dressing is great also used for a green salad, or as a dressing on fried fish, barbecued salmon or lamb chops. This recipe forms part of the August 6 meal planner created in partnership with New World.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Use a rice cooker to cook the rice or place the rice into a saucepan and add enough water to come 1.5cm above the level of the rice. Bring to a rolling boil then move to your smallest stove element, cover and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Cook, without uncovering for any reason, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and without uncovering, allow to stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and gently fluff up the rice with a fork but don’t mash the rice grains.
- Remove 4 cups of the rice to a bowl, cool, cover and refrigerate if you are planning on making our meal planner extension recipe, kedgeree, for dinner on another night. Recipe below.
- Meanwhile, put 5 tablespoons of the oil into a bowl and add the vinegar, capers, olives and lemon peel. This is the dressing. Taste, season and reserve. Line an ovenproof tray with baking paper and use the remaining oil to brush all over the salmon. Season with salt and place on the tray.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the salmon is just cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, remove a quarter of the salmon (if you are making the kedgeree), let it cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Put the vegetables into a steamer over high heat or drop them into a saucepan of boiling water and steam or boil gently for 4 minutes.
- Drain well and spoon the dressing over them. This is the salad.
- Serve the hot salmon broken into pieces on the vegetable salad with the rice on the side.
Meal planner extension
Use the reserved salmon and rice to make a kedgeree:
Fry plenty of finely chopped onions with toasted cumin seeds, chilli flakes, finely chopped ginger and garlic until the onion is soft. Stir in a little ground turmeric and add enough milk to cover well. Bring to the boil and thicken until creamy with a couple of tablespoons of cornflour dissolved in a little cold water. Taste and season. Break the leftover salmon into bite-sized pieces and add to the onion mixture with plenty of quartered hard-boiled eggs. Make a layer of half the leftover rice in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, put the salmon mixture on top and top with the remaining rice. Dot the top with small pieces of butter, cover and place in a 200C oven for 20 minutes or until bubbling. Serve sprinkled with chopped coriander and a side of green vegetables.
This recipe forms part of the August 6 meal planner created in partnership with New World.