Spaghetti with garlic and olive oil (spaghetti aglio e olio)
This simplest of pastas, known in Italy as spaghetti aglio e olio, needs a quality extra virgin olive oil for flavour. We have served it here in its purest form. It’s also good with the zest of 1 lemon added at step 5 and with flaked smoked fish tossed through or canned tuna.
|200 g||Angel hair pasta|
|¼ cup||Extra virgin olive oil, choose a very good quality one|
|3 cloves||Garlic, finely sliced|
|¼ tsp||Chilli flakes|
|1 small handful||Chopped parsley|
- Boil pasta in salted water for 2 minutes or until al dente.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil in a medium-sized frying pan and gently fry garlic and chilli flakes for 1 minute.
- Drain the pasta, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add the cooked pasta and reserved cooking liquid to the frying pan and toss well. Season with salt.
- Remove from heat. Stir through remaining oil and serve with chopped parsley.